May 3, 2009

HOW IS MUSIC SHAPING OUR CULTURE?

Is music playing a part in the degradation of our culture? There is a lot of debate on this topic. For years I denied that music could ever “do” anything to me or “cause” me to behave or think in a certain way. I have now had to embrace the humble pie once again and admit that I was wrong. Music is an incredibly powerful medium that has been used very successfully throughout history to shape and control people's thinking. It is not an overnight effect, but a gradual one that lulls a person into tolerance until they find themselves signing along with lyrics that would...and does grieve the Holy Spirit. What goes in our ears (as non threatening as is might seem) is crucial to our ability to attain holiness.


How long has it been since we actually examined the words to the songs we so ignorantly repeat day after day? What are we subconsciously meditating on when a song gets stuck in our head. We have so many excuses as to why it is “no big deal” to listen to certain artists, but are we justified in saying such things? As a parent, I am much more interested in what my daughter is listening to than I ever thought I would be. If we were “bought with a price” and commanded to “glorify God in your body, and in your spirit” as 1 Corinthians 6:20 tells us, then what gives us the right to grieve the Spirit with what we listen to? 1 Peter 1:16 tells us to “be ye holy, for I am holy”.


About 6 months ago, I came across a documentary that was a real eye opener and I want to share it. Each part is around 57 minutes long, but once you have watched one, it will be hard to stop. I thought it was very well done and very informative.


PART 1


 



PART 2


 



PART 3


 



PART 4


Subscribe in a reader



No comments: